From: Chuck Griffith <griffch at startribune dot com>
Subject: wait time on ctlib calls
Date: Feb 6 1998 11:07PM

When issuing a select using sybperl/ctlib I am seeing a situation where the
cpu time is larger on some sql calls than others even tho the number of rows
that are returned is the same or sometimes even lower. I do nothing between
the fetch calls that would slow the process of retrieving the rows.

That leads me to wonder, does sybperl/ctlib do a 'blocking' call to
sybase or does it have to poll the socket to determine if data is coming
back?

If sybperl/ctlib were to do a tight loop while polling the socket, I could
see why a slow database call could increase the cpu cycles used to retrieve
the data if sybase took a long time to respond.

Is there an option to switch from polling to blocking?

Hope I made sense here.

Chuck Griffith
612-673-4105