From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Compiling Sybperl and LD_LIBRARY_PATH problems
Date: Dec 28 1998 9:20PM

Len> If LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my shell environment is set to
Len> /opt/sybase/lib then everything works great, all tests pass and
Len> sample programs will run.  If LD_LIBRARY_PATH is NOT set, then I
Len> get the following trying to run Perl:

Len> bash-2.02$ perl -version ld.so.1: perl: fatal: libct.so: open
Len> failed: No such file or directory Killed

Len> So my question is: How do I compile /opt/sybase/lib into the
Len> library search path for the static Perl binary?

I believe you can edit the extralibs.all file (in
blib/arch/auto/Sybase/extralibs.all) and add -R/opt/sybase/lib to what's
already there:

kiruna (1:19pm):208 > cat blib/arch/auto/Sybase/extralibs.all
-R/opt/sybase/lib
-L/opt/sybase/lib -lct -lcs -ltcl -lcomn -lintl -ltli -lm
-L/opt/sybase/lib -lsybdb -ltli -lm

However - is it really necessary to build sybperl statically?

Len> Right now we have CGIs that use Perl 5.004 and Sybperl 2.09 and I
Len> would really like to upgrade to 5.005 and 2.10. These CGIs don't
Len> make use of a wrapper,

If you use Apache you could add

SetEnv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/sybase/lib

in one of the config files (maybe httpd.conf) to avoid the wrapper
problem too.