From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: SybPERL and MS-SQL
Date: Dec 22 1998 6:41PM

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Roberts  writes:

Paul> I have been accessing Sybase using the CTlib and now I need to
Paul> access a Microsoft SQL database so I have two questions.

Paul> 1. Where is the best place for me to find out how to use SybPERL
Paul> to access Microsoft SQL (if it can be done)?

Paul> 2. Is there a way to access both Sybase and Microsoft SQL with
Paul> SybPERL (and can I use the CTlib)?

In general, for MS-SQL 6.5 and *before* you can access the server
using either Sybase::DBlib or Sybase::CTlib. You just need to define
an entry in the interfaces file for the MSSQL server.

Client Library is a little more finicky, so you *may* get some
protocol level errors when talking to an MS-SQL server with
Sybase::CTlib.

With MSSQL 7.0 it appears that MS has changed the protocol somewhat,
making the use of the Sybase libraries more problematic, although I
don't have a lot of details on that.