From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Sybperl ODBC kludge
Date: Dec 4 1998 5:55PM

Dave Waller writes:
 > Ok this may or may not be what I should do but....
 >
 > My company has this legacy accounting program that has a "new" db called
 > Unidata.  I have an ODBC hook to it in Winblows95/NT only.  The ODBC driver
 > is by Sybase.  Now to the interesting part.  I want to use perl on my Linux
 > webserver to read the Unidata database and I am thinking that if I put Sybase
 > on the webserver and use sybperl to read some views that I create out of an
 > ODBC hook to the real db on the AIX server.
 >
 > Am I mad or is this do-able?

Sorry it took me so long to respond...

I don't think that this is doable "out of the box".

I suspect that you'd have to write an openserver app on the NT box
that undestands OpenClient calls on one side and sends ODBC requests
on the other.

Not a really clean solution.

You might be able to use DBI with DBD::Proxy by running a proxy server
on teh NT box, but I don't know much about how that would work.