From: Denis Hancock <dhancock at teosinte dot agron dot missouri dot edu>
Subject: Sybperl problem
Date: Dec 4 1998 3:22PM

I am having a perplexing problem trying to get sybperl cgi scripts to
run on a new server.  I have duplicated as far as possible the paths,
environment, and version numbers of all components, the scripts run from
the command line, but they fail as cgi scripts on the new server.  I
reviewed the FAQ, and the libraries seem to be in order.  Just in case,
I went ahead and linked libsybdb.so into /usr/lib, but to no avail.

I did a cgi environment dump, and diff'ed them between the two machines,
and the only differences were in host-specific things like hostname,
serveradmin, and so forth.  following are the @INC and LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
which are identical on both machines:

@INC (search path for
scripts)=/usr/local/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris/5.00404,
/usr/local/lib/perl5, /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/sun4-solaris,
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl, ., /usr/local/sybase/lib

$ENV{'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'}='/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/sybase/lib'

Here is the output from the cgi script:

DB-Library error:
        Could not open interface file.
Operating-system error:
        No such file or directory
Can't call method "dbcmd" without a package or object reference at
/usr/local/apache/share/cgi-bin/cprop/map_data.cgi line 194

All I can think of is that somehow the script is unable to locate the
Sybase installation, but why?  and how can I fix it?

BTW -- I have checked the permissions on the sybase installation, and
the directories are all world-readable, as is the interfaces file.

Denis Hancock, Senior Sci. Programmer/Analyst   1-573-882-1722 (voice)
dhancock@teosinte.agron.missouri.edu            1-573-884-7850 (fax)
Department of Agronomy, University of Missouri, Columbia MO 65211 USA