From: "Chris Jack" <jackc at rabo-bank dot com>
Subject: RE: DBCOUNT
Date: Nov 30 1998 10:06AM

There is a change request to Sybase in here.

Sybase (and Oracle) should both know how many rows are in the result set if
you have done something that requires a work table. For example when you do
an appropriate sort or an amalgamation. I believe SQLBase (which has a
better concept of a result set than Sybase/Oracle) has this facility. It
may be that there are technical reasons why this is hard for certain
physical database configurations specific to Sybase however... you could
have a call that returned the number of rows when it is possible or an
unavailable flag (plus a disclaimer in the documentation about the
limitations of usage).

Chrisj