From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: DBCOUNT
Date: Nov 27 1998 5:26PM

Dave Waller writes:
 > I must be using this wrong because I get -1 for the value.
 >
 > So..  How do you really use DBCOUNT

[ I think I'm going to write an autoresponder that replies to DBCOUNT
  queries automatically... ]

DBCOUNT() returns the number of rows affected for update/insert/delete
statements.

For select statements all the rows need to be processed (via
dbnextrow) before DBCOUNT() can return the correct value. This is
normal and is due to the way RDBMS engines handle datasets internally
(ie the information is not available) This BTW is not a Sybase
limitation, Oracle works the same way.