From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: dbpoll() problems on Solaris 2.x
Date: Nov 24 1998 5:40PM

There seems to be a bug in OpenClient 11.1.1 ebf 7883 or later with
dbpoll() when the timeout parameter is passed as -1. Normally this
should cause dbpoll() to pause until results are available on a
connection, and then return.

With EBF 7883 and 8147 (and maybe others) dbpoll() returns immediately
and gives the return_reason as DBTIMEOUT (which is really what it
should return if the timeout value had been passed as 0 instead of
-1).

Now I don't personally have a support contract with Sybase (I'm just a
lowly consultant :-), but maybe one of you who do could open a case
with Sybase to see what the issue is.

A workaround is to not use -1 as timeout but instead some very large
number (at least here that produces the same result).

BTW - I noticed that in Sybase's MySupport program Sybperl is one of
the categories that you can select (which *should* mean that Sybase
would answer support questions regarding sybperl...)

(my support is a free, personalized support page available at
http://support.sybase.com)