From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: ANNOUNCE: sybperl 2.10
Date: Nov 13 1998 10:40PM

W. Phillip Moore writes:

 > Michael> W. Philipp Moore supplied a patch to CTlib/Makefile.PL to
 > Michael> link with the Sybase _r (re-entrant) libraries if perl
 > Michael> was compiled with threading enabled. **THERE IS NO GUARANTEE
 > Michael> THAT A THREADED VERSION OF Sybase::CTlib WILL WORK CORRECTLY!!!***
 > Michael> Please read README.thread for details.
 >
 > One warning about this -- the resulting Sybase::CTlib module works
 > fine on Solaris, but not on IRIX.

Well it works fine until you use Threads and try to access a handle
attribute. The it core dumps with a SIGBUS (at least here on Solaris
2.5.1).

I'd say stay away from threads in perl at the moment...

 > For unknown reasons, Sybase used DCE threads in the IRIX version of
 > the reentrant Open Client libraries.  If you don't have DCE, trhen the
 > code will fail to resolve symbols when it gets dlopen()ed.

Well I guess that's a bit like various versions of OC need different
support libraries on Dec Unix for the Alpha...