From: Neil Ratzlaff <Neil dot Ratzlaff at ucop dot edu>
Subject: Re: can't make sybperl
Date: Nov 6 1998 7:46PM

At 07:14 11/06/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Neil Ratzlaff writes:
> > I am trying and failing to install sybperl-2.07 (to go along with perl
> > 5.002 and sybase 10) on a machine running AIX 4.2.1.  To keep things
> > simple, here is what I did:
> >
> > 1.  Edit CONFIG.
> > I changed the Sybase definition to point to the sybase clientlib
directory.

> > 2.  perl Makefile.PL
> > got minor errors now, but wait until step 4:
> > "sh: .././blib/man/man3/Sybase::BCP.3: 0403-005 Cannot create specified
file"
> > "Couldn't install sh: .././blib/man/man3/Sybase::BCP.3"
> > Couldn't chmod 644, either
> > (however, when I look, it is there, set with 644)
> > "ld: 0711-327 WARNING: Entry point not found: _nostart"
> >
> > 3.  Edit PWD
> > I provided a valid user, password, and database server
> >
> > 4.  make test
> > got major error:
> > "Can't locate vars.pm in @INC at .././blib/Sybase/DBlib.pm  line 224"
> > "Begin failed.  Compilation aborted."
> >
> > So I looked for vars.pm on the whole computer, and came up empty.   Where
> > was this file supposed to come from?  I suspect this a perl file, which
> > implies that I should re-install perl (I don't know anything about the
> > original perl installation).  Where do I go next?
>
>It looks to me like your perl setup is broken.
>
>Run perl -v to see which version of perl is actually installed.
>
>I would encourage you to install a newer version of perl (5.004_04 or
>5.005_02) and get it installed correctly as this will make things a
>lot easier.
>
>Michael
>--
>Michael Peppler         -||-  Data Migrations Inc.
>mpeppler@mbay.net       -||-  http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler
>Int. Sybase User Group  -||-  http://www.isug.com

Ok, I will go on your statement that perl is not setup properly.  I found *8*
perl binaries on this computer (one of them is version 4.x) and not one of
them
has vars.pm associated with it.  i guess the easiest way is to install a new
copy of perl (#9) and use that for tests.

I think I have to stick with 5.002 for now, because we are still using
OpenClient 10, which I was told works with 5.002 but not 5.004.  If this is
wrong, please point me to some documentation that I can use to persuade
them to
use the latest and greatest.

Thanks,
Neil