From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: BCP Test Error - Sybperl on RedHat 5.1 w/ASE
Date: Oct 29 1998 6:32PM

Millar, Jay writes:
 > Please don't shoot me if this has been rehashed many times,

We don't shoot people here. We *might* flame them, but we definitely
don't shoot :-)

(actually flaming is frowned upon too...)

 > receive the following error during our sybperl make test of the BCP
 > function:
 >
 > PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl -I.././blib/arch -I.././blib/lib
 > -I/usr/lib/perl5/i686-linux/5.00404 -I/usr/lib/perl5 -e 'use
 > Test::Harness qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t
 > t/bcp...............Can't call method "sql" without a package or object
 > reference at t/bcp.t line 47.

As you know this is has been an ongoing problem.

I really must get a linux system for myself - right now I am answering
these queries based on information I've collected from others and
based on information from other systems...

The trouble with linux, also, is that everyone seems to have a
slightly different system...

Anyway - one person reported the same problem as you, and had to
remove -lgdbm and -lndbm from the perl linkline as well before it
would work for him.

Now whether this is related to the version of gdbm/ndbm installed on
the system, the version of the kernel, or the phase of the moon I
don't know...

I can only suggest building a minimal perl, and trying that with
sybperl, and then adding things incrementally to the perl binary to
see when it starts breaking...

You can easily do this by specifying a different installation
directory for your test perl binary, and then using that perl binary
when you do a perl Makefile.PL in the sybperl directory.

Something like this should work, assuming /u/tmp is a valid directory
on your system:

(in the perl src directory:)
./Configure -Dprefix=/u/tmp/perl
make; make test; make install
(in the sybperl src directory:)
/u/tmp/perl/bin/perl Makefile.PL
make
make test

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!