From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: HELP!
Date: Oct 26 1998 7:41PM

Thuy Mai writes:

 > >  > I am using sybperl to retrive data from an NT box running
 > >  > MS SQL server.   Evething work just fine, except
 > >  > under high load sometime the connect fail and display
 > >  > Open Client Message:
 > >  > Message number: LAYER = (5) ORIGIN = (3) SEVERITY = (5) NUMBER = (4)
 > >  > Message String: ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error:
 > >  > Net-Lib protocol driver call to connect two endpoints failed
 > >  > Operating System Error: Socket connect failed - errno 111
 > >  >
 > >  > Is this NT socket problem?
 > >  > Is this MS SQL server problem?
 > >  > or
 > >  > ctlib or perl take timeout too soon?
 > >
 > > This *may* be a timeout problem on Client Library's side.
 > I just tried that, it doesn't make any diff.  How can
 > I determine if the timeout is expired or the server doesn't
 > response to that request?

I don't know. I'm not really familiar with NT (for example my errno.h
file on Solaris doesn't define an errno == 111, so I don't even know
what the actual problem is.)

My other suggestion is to write an appropriate error handler and to
try reconnecting when this occurs.

One way to do this is to wrap the ct_connect() call in an eval() and
return CS_FAIL from the client side error handler...