From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Memory read errors while using BCP
Date: Jan 31 1998 12:51AM

Frederick Yawe wrote:

> Cousins,  Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I have a script that I wrote using Sybperl 2.09 (Windows NT) that gives me
> a SEGV error in
> debug or a windows NT pop up screen "memory at location .... could not be
> read"
> immediately after BCPing the second table (my main loop and a partial debug
> output is
> attached).
>
> What is bothering me is that it fails after the second or third table but
> works OK for the
> first 2 tables. It can not be an insufficient memory issue because I have
> lots of memory on this
> machine and I have tried to limit the # of rows returned to 10 (using set
> rowcount 10)
> but I still get the same problem.
>
> I have tried to run the same script on a different machine (with same
> sybperl software) and
> I still get the same error.
>
> I am not doing anything revolutionary, all I am doing is this
> 1. run a stored procedures on different servers (using ct_execute)
> 2. apply business rules to each row
> 3. Use BCP api to load data to a central sql server.

What you are doing is mixing a little bit of everything in your
script. This should still work, but you're using CTlib to retrieve
the data, then you create a Sybase::BCP object, but use the
straight bcp calls from DBlib instead.

All of this *should* work, but I suspect that there is a problem
buried down there somewhere.

Could you try to only use the Sybase::DBlib module and see if that
fixes the problem (ie also use the DBlib module for the select
side of things)?

I'm starting to suspect a memory access bug in Sybase::CTlib, but
I don't have any specifics yet.