From: Vaclav Ovsik <ovsik at skoda dot cz>
Subject: Re: Problems with Sybperl and Linux - RedHat 5.0
Date: Jan 30 1998 1:03PM

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Michael Peppler wrote:

> Tom Poindexter wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 29, 1998 at 03:50:32PM -0500, Jeffrey Yu wrote:
> > > Indeed, I think it is related to the glibc problem.  It is the glibc causes
> > > the Motif fail in RH5.0 too.  What I am concerned is if this is the end
> > > of the Sybase Ct-lib port to Linux.  ..... If glibc is going to be more
> > > popular or becomes the standard, and if Sybase will not release
> > > a new ctlib port compatible with glibc. ....  a lot of people might have
> > > to roll back. ....
> >
> > I haven't tried Rh 5.0 yet (or any other glibc variant), so I'm speculating
> > at the moment.
> >
> > Isn't it possible to link as "-Bstatic" or some such ld flag to link the
> > library statically,  explicitly referencing the old libc?
> >
> > Sybtcl users will also need to know.
>
> That might be possible - but might need to build perl with the old
> libc as well.
>
> Of course another thing to try is to rename the old libc, and then
> add that to the libraries to link in when building sybperl.
>
> Something like:
>
> cp libc.a liboldc.a
>
> and then set EXTRA_LIBS=-linsck -loldc
>
> Would be worth a try...

It is not so easy. Suitable is to link binaries staticaly  on RH4.2, and
then bins install on RH5.0.
Linking is much complicated directly on RH5.
Libc includes also start files. These are specified in gcc's specs file
(/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.7.2.3/specs).
You must change spec file or link manually,
gcc  -nostartfiles -nostdlib -Ioldinc [* spec. runtime start files *]
objects libs(include oldlibc) [* spec. runtime end file *]