From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Problems with Sybperl and Linux - RedHat 5.0
Date: Jan 29 1998 10:27PM

Tom Poindexter wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 1998 at 03:50:32PM -0500, Jeffrey Yu wrote:
> > Indeed, I think it is related to the glibc problem.  It is the glibc causes
> > the Motif fail in RH5.0 too.  What I am concerned is if this is the end
> > of the Sybase Ct-lib port to Linux.  ..... If glibc is going to be more
> > popular or becomes the standard, and if Sybase will not release
> > a new ctlib port compatible with glibc. ....  a lot of people might have
> > to roll back. ....
>
> I haven't tried Rh 5.0 yet (or any other glibc variant), so I'm speculating
> at the moment.
>
> Isn't it possible to link as "-Bstatic" or some such ld flag to link the
> library statically,  explicitly referencing the old libc?
>
> Sybtcl users will also need to know.

That might be possible - but might need to build perl with the old
libc as well.

Of course another thing to try is to rename the old libc, and then
add that to the libraries to link in when building sybperl.

Something like:

cp libc.a liboldc.a

and then set EXTRA_LIBS=-linsck -loldc

Would be worth a try...

> Also, I agree that we should take every opportunity to rag to
> Sybase for another Linux client release.

Absolutely - and I have some hopes that this will actually
happen.