From: Doug Fairclough <kensey at clearstation dot com>
Subject: Re: PUBLIC: tiff to gif
Date: Jan 23 1998 10:28PM

netpbm can do that, but in a sort of roundabout way :

    tifftopnm.c     convert TIFF file to portable anymap
    ppmtogif.c      convert portable pixmap to GIF

this functionality is built into one executable.  heres some
stuff from the README if you want to check it out :

You'll find the latest release of Netpbm at the following sites:
* wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4),
  directory /graphics/graphics/packages/NetPBM
* ikaros.fysik4.kth.se (130.237.35.2), directory /pub/netpbm.
* ftp.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (134.106.1.9). This site also carries
  binaries for the Amiga.
* peipa.essex.ac.uk (155.245.115.161), directory ipa/src/manip
* ftp.rahul.net (192.160.13.1), directory /pub/davidsen/source
* ftp.cs.ubc.ca, directory /ftp/archive/netpbm

doug