From: Randy Moore <ramoore at atlantech dot net>
Subject: Re: Trying to build 2.09 on WinNT, built ok but failed tests
Date: Jan 14 1998 3:43AM

At 02:56 PM 1/8/98 -0800, you wrote:
>> I'm new to the list and to SybPerl, and am trying to build vers 2.09 on
>> WinNT 4.0 (SP3) on an Intel machine.
>>
>> I'm using MS VC++ 5.0.
>> I successfully installed Perl from 'perl5.00402-bindist04-bc.tar' and it
>> works fine.
>> I have Open Client installed.
>> I edited CONFIG.
>> I ran 'perl Makefile.PL' and that seemed to work (a lot of warnings about
>> libraries though).
>> I ran 'nmake' and it seemed to complete without errors.
>>
>> So far, so good.
>>
>> I edited PWD and put in my sa password and server name. And I verified that
>> these work from this machine using SQL Advantage.
>>
>> Then, I tried 'nmake test'.   And here, it failed.
>>
>> The begining of the output looks like this:
>>
>>         C:\perl\bin\perl -Mblib -Ic:\perl\lib -Ic:\perl\lib -e "use
>> Test::Harnes
>> s qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;" t\bcp.t
>> Using C:/sybperl-2.09/BCP/../blib
>> t\bcp...............Use of uninitialized value at
>> C:/sybperl-2.09/BCP/../blib/li
>> b/Sybase/BCP.pm line 511,  chunk 1.
>> Sybase error: Attempt to bulk-copy a NULL value into Server column 1, which
>> does
>>  not accept NULL values.
>
>Try to look for a file called bcp.err in the BCP directory - it should
>have a row with the data that failed to go in. I've seen other
>errors with BCP and NT, but not this one, so I'm curious...

Here is the content of my bcp.err file:
	1	This is a text field which we hope will work. I've put a dummy

	 control M in this field too.	foo

	231	This is a text field blah blah blah will work. I've put a dummy

	 control M in this field too.	tada

	31	This is a text field which we hope will work. I've put a dummy

	 control M in this field too.	bar

	12	This is a text field which we hope will work. I've put a dummy

	 control M in this field too.	gob

It looks like everything failed.

When I run the test manually, tests 1-4 pass and everything else fails.
I get several of the following error:
Attempt to bulk-copy a NULL value into Server column 1, which does not
accept NULL values.

>You can check the rest of the system by running the other tests
>manually:
>
>cd c:\sybperl-2.09\DBlib
>c:\perl\bin\perl -Mblib -Ic:\perl\lib t\dblib.t
>
>etc (look in the t\ directory of the DBlib and CTlib directories to
>see which tests exist).

Interestingly, all the tests in the DBlib work fine. (And fortunately this
was the section I needed most.  I'm porting some scripts from Unix that
used the DBlib stuff).

But, the CTlib tests fail dramatically.  As soon as they start to run, a
Windows message box pops up titled "perl.exe - Application Error".  There
is a message to the effect that some instruction referenced some memory
address that could not be written.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Has anyone been successful with Perl 5.04 and SybPerl 2.09??

Thanks,

- Randy Moore
Atlantech Online, Inc.
http://www.atlantech.net/