PEPPLER.ORG
Michael Peppler
Sybase Consulting
Menu
Home
Sybase on Linux
Install Guide for Sybase on Linux
General Sybase Resources
General Perl Resources
Freeware
Sybperl
Sybase::Simple
DBD::Sybase
BCP Tool
Bug Tracker
Mailing List Archive
Downloads Directory
FAQs
Sybase on Linux FAQ
Sybperl FAQ
Personal
Michael Peppler's resume

sybperl-l Archive

Up    Prev    Next    

From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at mbay dot net>
Subject: Re: Problems "uninstalling" Sybperl 2.09
Date: Jan 13 1998 4:40PM

Tim Green at LDC1 wrote:
> 
> 
>      I recently downloaded perl 5.004.04 and sybperl 2.09.  Currently we're
>      running perl 5.003 and sybperl 2.05.  After compiling both statically,
>      during testing I ran into repeatable runtime problems with a
>      particular Sybperl application we have.  I'm not sure what the problem
>      is exactly, and I'm more suspicious of perl than sybperl (anyone run
>      into socket or signal problems with 5.004?), so in any event, I felt
>      it prudent to reduce the number a variables in the equation while
>      testing and decided to roll back to Sybperl 2.05.
> 
>      To do this I went to my Sybperl 2.05 source directory, ran "perl
>      Makefile.PL" using the 5.004 perl binary, and went through the entire
>      make process, finishing with the commands "make install" and then
>      "make -f Makefile.aperl inst_perl MAP_TARGET=perl".  I then verified
>      that the perl binary that was created in my 2.05 directory was indeed
>      copied into the perl 5.004 bin directory.
> 
>      However, when I run the simple program
>            ./perl -e 'use Sybase::DBlib; print "$SybperlVer\n"'
>      from either the perl 5.004 bin directory or the Sybperl 2.05 directory
>      it displays "2.09".

I *think* I know what the problem is.

When you run make install after a static build the .a files (DBlib.a,
CTlib.a) get copied to the site_perl/$arch/auth/Sybase/... directories,
so that if you rebuild a different static module you will also get
these modules included.

This may or may not be a bug, depending on how you look at it, but
I think the problem is that when you ran make test in the 
2.05 directory it actually built a binary with the DBlib.a and
CTlib.a files from the 2.09 distribution that had been copied
to the perl lib directory.

So I would suggest cd'ing to PERLLIB/site_perl/$arch/Sybase
and doing something like
	find . -name '*.a' -print -exec rm -f {} \;
and then rebuilding the modules in the 2.05 source directory.

Michael
-- 
Michael Peppler       -||-  Data Migrations Inc.
mpeppler@datamig.com  -||-  http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler