From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at mbay dot net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: sybperl/perl4 vs perl5.03]
Date: Dec 19 1997 5:29PM

I scan the newsgroups (using DejaNews) but I hadn't seen your message.

You may have uncoverred a bug in the Sybperl 1.xxx emulation code,
which I'll have to look into - in theory the Sybase::Sybperl
module should behave nearly exactly the same way as the perl 4.xxx
version.

In the meantime, could you let me know which version of sybperl you
have on your perl 5.003 installation - you can run

perl -M'Sybase::DBlib (999)'

(note the quotes) to get the version:

kiruna (8:48am):7 > perl -M'Sybase::DBlib (999)'
Sybase::DBlib 999 required--this is only version 2.08 at - line 0
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
kiruna (9:22am):8 >

which tells me I have 2.08 installed here.

You can also run this command:

perl -MSybase::DBlib -e 'print "$Sybase::DBlib::Version\n";'

The default behaviour for reporting NULLs in recent versions of
sybperl is to set the values to the perl value 'undef'. This can
then be tested with the defined() operator.

So you could, as a workaround, change
	if($val eq 'NULL')
	if(!defined($val))

Michael