From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at mbay dot net>
Subject: Re: SUMMARY:Sybperl 2.08 in DU 4.0b
Date: Dec 16 1997 9:38PM

Joseph C King wrote:

> This is what I had to do to get sybperl 2.08 working with Open Client
> 10.0.4, perl 5.004_04, DU 4.0b with current jumbo patch
>
> 1) Rebuild perl with out -ldb support.
>    To do this we just ran config again and didn't include -ldb when it
>    asked for libraries and didn't choose DB_FILE to be used also

I was looking for -ldb in your perl -V output but it wasn't there,
so I didn't point out that potential problem...

It's actually mentioned in the README (I think).

> 2) Here is a copy of our CONFIG file
>         DBLIBVS=1000
>         CTLIBVS=100
>         SYBASE=/sybase
>         EXTRA_LIBS= -linsck -ldnet_stub -lsdna
>         LINKTYPE=

Note that I just read in the Sybase docs that for OpenClient
11.x -ldnet_stub and -lsdna are gone, and you need -ltli instead (same
as Solaris 2.x).

> 3) We rebuilt the open client libraries in $SYBASE/libs using
>
>    cc -o lib$1.so -shared -expect_unresolved "*" -all lib$1.a

Maybe that's the trick. Are the OpenClient shared libs on DEC
really broken???

> 4) perl Makefile.PL
>
> 5) Edited the DBLib/Makefile and removed set the *LIBS lines to
>         EXTRALIBS = -L/sybase/lib -lsybdb -ldnet_stub -lm
>         LDLOADLIBS = -L/sybase/lib -lsybdb -ldnet_stub -lm
>
> 6) Set the SYBASE and LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment var correctly
>
> 7) make
>
> 8) make test
>
> 9) make install
>
> I don't know if we needed to do all of this but this is what finally made
> everything work.

I'm glad to see you finally got it working!!!