From: Lee Falkenhagen <falkenl at crl dot com>
Subject: Re: Kill Zombies
Date: Dec 15 1997 4:16PM

Sybase has a known bug...at least through 11.03 where zombie processes
can and will exist.  There is no known solution, according to Tech
Support.  However, these processes are somewhat different from what you
are referring to.  In the cases that I have seen, with Powerbuilder 3.x
and 4.x, the process disappears from sysprocesses but still appears to
have locks.  The problem with this in an OLTP environment is that it
prevents the log from truncating after a dump because a tranaction will
never commit.  We were working in a 1 GB transaction log (lots of batch
processes...) so if we did not catch this bug, then the log would fill
and we would have to shut down the server to clear the log.  Very
painful process on this size of log.

And by the way...we were never able to "duplicate" this issue for Sybase
Tech support...all we could do is send them output from selects on the
system tables.

Lee Falkenhagen, Certified Sybase Professional
falkenl@crl.com