From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Dead connections
Date: Dec 12 1997 12:51AM

Todd E. Scheresky wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This question IS NOT for the faint of heart.  First some background.  I
> am running Perl 5.004_04, Sybperl 2.07, on AIX 4.1.3.  The Perl script,
> extremely bastardized, follows at the end of this email.
>
> I run the script in two ways.  First, from the command line and second,
> I call the subroutine "resolveIP" repeatedly from a C program.

Do you just call the subroutine, or do you call the script repeatedly?

>  From the C program the script runs
> fine on the first call to "resolveIP".  However, if I call "resolveIP" a
> second time, and repeatedly thereafter, on the first host "getIP" dies
> because ct_execute returns a CS_FAIL.  It's as if the database
> connection to Sybase is no longer valid.

Do you get any other message from the client callback?

> to longer than 60 seconds and ct_config failed with the following error.
>
> I used "ct_config(CS_SET, CS_LOGIN_TIMEOUT, 900);" I got back:
>
> Open Client Message: (In msg_cb)
> Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1) SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (9)
> Message String: ct_config(SET,LOGIN_TIMEOUT): user api layer: external
> error: The buflen parameter must be set to CS_UNUSED.

You need to add a CS_INT_TYPE parameter to your ct_config() call.

> So what the heck is happening here?  Why can I only run "resolvedIP"
> successfully once?

Strange. Based on what you specify the script should run fine.

A small point though - you are passing \$dbh as parameter to getip().
THat is not necessary, as $dbh is already a reference.