From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: installing sybperl (2 questions)
Date: Dec 11 1997 6:12PM

FHernandez@tribune.com wrote:

>      I need to install sybperl module on a different machine than the one
>      running the Sybase SQL server.  The SybPerl FAQ says to set the
>      LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the Sybase library directories but I don't
>      know what form the variable should take
>      (i.e. LD_LIBRARY_PATH = ??remote host??)  when referring to a remote
>      host.  Can somebody help me with this?

The libraries need to be accessible locally.
Either copy them accross to the other machine, or mount the
first machines Sybase directory on the other machine using
NFS (or something similar).

>      Q2:
>      Is it possible to install the sybperl module in a home directory
>      instead of the perl directory?  If so how and what are the
>      ramifications, if any?

Yes, it is possible.
The ramifications are that you must tell perl where to look for the
libraries using the -I or the "use lib" statements, as in

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use lib "/home/mpeppler/sybperl/lib";

However, you may need to add multiple 'use lib' statements as
perl usually install perl code in one directory and
shared objects (architecture dependant binaries) in an other
directory.