From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Calling sybperl from within an HTML file
Date: Dec 9 1997 1:32AM

Teresa Fiske wrote:

> At the County of San Diego we are exploring the possibility of using
> sybperl. Currently it is executing and accessing data fine from the UNIX
> command line (SGI IRIX 6.4). However, how do you execute/invoke perl
> from an HTML file?
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

What you're trying to do is called CGI scripting.

You should get a good book on writing CGI scripts, but the basic
minimal structure of a perl/sybperl CGI script is something like this:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

BEGIN {
    $ENV{SYBASE} = "/your/sybase/installation/directory";
}

use strict;
use CGI;
use Sybase::DBlib;
use SybWWW;    # Send Sybase error messages to the browser

my $query = new CGI;
print $query->header;    # print "Content-Type: text/html"
print $query->start_html;

my $dbh = new Sybase::DBlib "userID", "pwd", "server";
	# Change params above as needed

$dbh->dbcmd("select * from sysusers");

print "

Output from sysusers:

\n"; $dbh->dbsqlexec; print "\n"; while($dbh->dbresults != NO_MORE_RESULTS) { my @dat; print "\n"; while(@dat = $dbh->dbnextrow) { foreach (@dat) { print " } print "\n\n"; } } print "
$_
"; print $query->end_html; exit(0); __END__ To execute this script it has to be placed in an appropriate directory where the http server will find it (usually somewhere under the /cgi-bin/ tree) and then loaded as a normal url. Hope this helps! Michael -- Michael Peppler -||- Data Migrations Inc. mpeppler@datamig.com -||- http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler