From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: character set issues, plus Sybperl and web.sql
Date: Dec 8 1997 11:12PM

Phil Groce wrote:

> Newbie, with a newbie question.  Sorry. :)
>
> Setting up sybperl (on a Sparc w/ Solaris 2.5.1) goes swimmingly up to
> "make test".  It says it passes the test fine, but gets the following a
> number of times during the process:
>
> Sybase message 2409, Severity 11, state 2
> Line 1
>         Cannot find the requested character set in Syscharsets:   name = 'iso_1'
>
> I had a similar problem with Sybase's web.sql;  the DB server is an HP, and
> is looking for roman8.  Changing the C and default entries in
> $SYBASE/locales/locales.dat to say roman8 instead of iso_1 fixed that
> problem, but not this one.  I even replaced every instance of "iso_1" with
> "roman8" in the locales.dat file, and still got this.  What am I missing?

I'm not sure.

But you should be able to use sybinit on the HP to add the iso_1
character set, and sidestep the entire issue...

> Incidentally, if anyone knows of any issues related to web.sql and Sybperl
> living in harmony on one machine, I'd love to hear about them.

There shouldn't be any problems.
AFAIK web.sql installs in a non-standard directory (at least from
perl's point of vue) so the two should be able to co-exist without
problems.