PEPPLER.ORG
Michael Peppler
Sybase Consulting
Menu
Home
Sybase on Linux
Install Guide for Sybase on Linux
General Sybase Resources
General Perl Resources
Freeware
Sybperl
Sybase::Simple
DBD::Sybase
BCP Tool
Bug Tracker
Mailing List Archive
Downloads Directory
FAQs
Sybase on Linux FAQ
Sybperl FAQ
Personal
Michael Peppler's resume

sybperl-l Archive

Up    Prev    Next    

From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Installing 2.08 on Solaris
Date: Nov 25 1997 6:04PM

Bill Corley wrote:
> 
> Michael,
> 
>     Thanks for your response. I had looked at each of these items since they
> were very specific in your README file.
> 
>     I had found a libtcl.a in the /usr/local/lib directory, but renamed it to
> get it out of the way. I also checked the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and found that it
> did not mention /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib . And I did add $SYBASE/lib to the
> existing LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  And the -ltli was set in the EXTRA_LIBs.
> 
>     I was a little confused by the error "Can't call method "ct_execute"
> without a package or object reference at t/ctlib.t line 49". That seems like
> a fairly fundamental problem but have not been able to track it down.
> 
>     I did find your DBD packages after looking at the sybperl and tried
> installing that. And I also have problems with running make test on that
> source as well. I have a feeling that there is a common problem between the
> two. Maybe with the OpenClient.(?) But we are using the OpenClient in
> Netscape LiveWire and have been able to open and read Sybase DBs OK.

As both Sybperl (or at least part of it)  and DBD::Sybase use
the Client libraries it is quite normal that they should both
fail.

It's clearly not one of the obvious problems - so I'm suspecting
something more complex.

Another user had problems with sybperl in combination with netscape
suitespot 3.0 and OpenClient 11.1 because netscape wants the
threaded version of libtli.so (this is done in the 
$SYBASE/config/libtcl.cfg file) which breaks sybperl (as well as
Sybase's isql!).

The solution there was to create a second install tree with an
alternate configuration that does not use the threaded tli driver.

Try running this in the sybperl source directory:

perl -I./blib/lib -I./blib/arch CTlib/t/ctlib.t

and report the results you get.

Michael
-- 
Michael Peppler       -||-  Data Migrations Inc.
mpeppler@datamig.com  -||-  http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler