From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: ct_describe produces surprising output
Date: Nov 25 1997 4:33PM

Ezra Van Everbroeck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use ct_describe to get information about the maximum length of
> (char) fields in a table. The idea is to call the following piece of code
> with the name of the table as the argument ($table).

I thought I had found a bug in the code, so I recoded a quickie
to make sure that I call ct_describe() and don't do anything with
the returned maxlength. However I still get the same results, and
the pattern I see is that maxlength is really

	max(length($colname)+2, $colsize+1)

so column 'one' has a maxlength of 5, column 'three' has a maxlength
of 7, and column 'six' has a maxlength of 7.

Seems I can't do a whole lot about it right now - although I may
take a couple of minutes to check the docs...