From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Other SQL servers than Sybase on Windows NT?
Date: Nov 20 1997 3:42PM

Thomas Flemming wrote:

> I would like to move some of my Sybase perl scripts from
> unix to Windows NT, and would like to know if could use
> som other SQL server than Sybase like Sybase SQL Anywhere
> or Microsoft SQL server?
>
> I presume this question has been asked before, but
> I couldn't find any FAQ. If someone could derict me
> to an FAQ I would be very please.

Sybperl will connect to an MS-SQL server with no problem, provided
you have Sybase's OpenClient available.

I know of a project to port Sybperl to MS-SQL server's API, but
it isn't quite ready for prime time. However email me directly
if you are interested.

I don't know if an OpenClient app can connect to a SQL-Anywhere
server, although I would think that that should be possible (I have
downloaded a demo of SQL Anywhere for Solaris, but I haven't
played with it yet).

Hope this helps!