From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: dberrhandle (one more time :-()
Date: Nov 10 1997 11:49PM

Raja Sambamurty wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried using the dberrhandle after browsing thru some of the archvies.
> It quite doesn't seem to work. What follows is 5 lines of simple code
> with sql syntax error (introduced to test the err handler). Once in the
> debugger, I break in the error_handler routine, but it seems to skip
> right past it. Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks

I think it's a problem with the perl debugger:

When I run your little script in the debugger the default dberrhandler
(in C) gets called.

When I run it in the shell the one installed in sybutil.pl gets
called.

Compare:

  DB<1>
  DB<1>
Msg 156, Level 15, State 1
Line 1
	Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'like'.
DB-Library error:
	General SQL Server error: Check messages from the SQL Server.
  DB<1> q

with

kiruna (3:45pm):1 > perl f.pl
Sybase message 156, Severity 15, state 1
Line 1
    Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'like'.

    1> select * from BugTrack..bug where like 'Raja%'
After