PEPPLER.ORG
Michael Peppler
Sybase Consulting
Menu
Home
Sybase on Linux
Install Guide for Sybase on Linux
General Sybase Resources
General Perl Resources
Freeware
Sybperl
Sybase::Simple
DBD::Sybase
BCP Tool
Bug Tracker
Mailing List Archive
Downloads Directory
FAQs
Sybase on Linux FAQ
Sybperl FAQ
Personal
Michael Peppler's resume

sybperl-l Archive

Up    Prev    Next    

From: "Scott Garrison" <sdg at osprey dot corp dot sgi dot com>
Subject: (Fwd) Re: Additional Problems with loading sybperl 2.03
Date: Feb 21 1996 8:37PM

On Feb 16,  7:47am, Michael Peppler wrote:
> Subject: Re: Additional Problems with loading sybperl 2.03
> > From: "Peter Jusinski" 
> >      This is the output after running perl Makefile.PL
> >
> >      root@pluto:/usr/local/sybperl/sybperl-2.03 > perl Makefile.PL
> >      Writing Makefile for Sybase::DBlib
> >      Writing Makefile for Sybase::Sybperl
> >      Warning (non-fatal): Direct use of class methods deprecated; use
> >                      my $self = shift;
> >                      $self->MM::makeaperl();
> >              instead
> >      Writing Makefile for Sybase
> >
>
> I'd guess that you are using Perl 5.002b3. There was a problem in one
> of the (perl internal) operations when doing numerical compares.
>
> The real solution is to get Perl 5.002gamma, or revert to 5.002b2.
>
> If that is not practical, you can edit each of the Makefile.PL, and
> change
>
> 	if($MM_VERSION > 5)
> to
> 	if($MM_VERSION >= 5)
>
> This should work.
>
> Michael
>-- End of excerpt from Michael Peppler

I had this same problem initially when using 5.002b3 so I dropped back to
5.001m to make sybperl 2.03 which I then installed.  I then saw 5.002gamma and
build and installed that.  1 question & 1 problem:

1. will I run into any problems running sybperl 2.03 that was built with perl
5.001m now that I'm running 5.002gamma (I guess this is a fundamental perl
question, do I always have to rebuild my dynamically linked modules when I
upgrade my version of perl?)

2. When I tried making sybperl 2.03 on 5.002gamma, I got a bunch of errors
probably relating to the make resolving to /usr/local/lib/libtcl.a instead of
/usr/local/sybase10.0.2/lib/libtcl.a.  I've done a bunch of stuff to try to
ameliorate this problem, but so far no luck (eg. I don't have anything in my
extralibs.ld files and my Config.pm file has lddlflags='-shared
-L/usr/local/lib' which is where I'm getting the resolution problem.)

The following is what I get when I manually hack the CTlib & DBlib makefiles to
point also to /usr/local/lib/other/libtcl.a (after it's resolved to
/usr/local/sybase10.0.2)--obviously I'm grasping for straws at this point--

           PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/local/bin/perl -I../blib/arch/ -I../blib/lib/
-I/usr/local/lib/perl5/IP22-irix/5.002 -I/usr/local/lib/perl5 -e 'use
Test::Harness qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t
   t/ctlib.............Subroutine Sybase::CTlib::CS_ROW_RESULT redefined at
(eval 2) line 1.
   Subroutine Sybase::CTlib::CS_PARAM_RESULT redefined at (eval 3) line 1.
   Subroutine Sybase::CTlib::CS_STATUS_RESULT redefined at (eval 4) line 1.
   Subroutine Sybase::CTlib::CS_CURSOR_RESULT redefined at (eval 5) line 1.
   Subroutine Sybase::CTlib::CS_COMPUTE_RESULT redefined at (eval 6) line 1.
   Subroutine Sybase::CTlib::CS_SUCCEED redefined at (eval 10) line 1.
   ok
   All tests successful.
   Files=1,  Tests=30,  7 secs ( 1.48 cusr  0.35 csys =  1.83 cpu)
           PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/local/bin/perl -I../blib/arch/ -I../blib/lib/
-I/usr/local/lib/perl5/IP22-irix/5.002 -I/usr/local/lib/perl5 -e 'use
Test::Harness qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t
   t/dblib.............Subroutine Sybase::DBlib::SUCCEED redefined at (eval 2)
line 1.
   Subroutine Sybase::DBlib::NO_MORE_RESULTS redefined at (eval 5) line 1.
   Subroutine Sybase::DBlib::FAIL redefined at (eval 8) line 1.
   Aborting test: output counter mismatch [test 12 answered when test 13
expected]
   FAILED tests 13-16
           Failed 4/16 tests, 75.00% okay
   Failed 1 test script, 0.00% okay. 3/16 subtests failed, 81.25% okay.
   *** Error code 29 (bu21)
   *** Error code 1 (bu21)

FWIW, I'm running an SGI box with irix 5.3

sdg